The Addiction Court Support Program is designed for community residents whose substance use has resulted in criminal charges. It creates a direct link between the Justice System and the Addiction Treatment System by placing an addiction counsellor in bail court. Access to an addictions specialist at key moments of motivation has proven to be beneficial for many clients in achieving their desired goals. While available to those in the general region, this program only applies to those in the Guelph court system.
The Addiction Court Support Counsellor offers clients:
- Brief motivational counselling to support positive changes regarding both substance use and criminal behaviour
- Assessment and referral to the most appropriate treatment and support resources
- Support to understand and comply with bail requirements
Clients in the program have reported the following benefits:
- Decreased interactions with the police
- Healthier and safer decision-making regarding substance use
- Increased ability to meet bail conditions
- Access to a wide variety of substance use and community services.
The Addiction Court Support Program is made possible by the support of the Mayor’s Task Force on Homelessness and Community Safety which championed this vital service and advocated for its return to our community. Stonehenge is grateful to receive funding from the City of Guelph and Ontario Health for this program.
Participants can self-refer to Addiction Court Support program, or referrals can be made by defence lawyers, crown attorneys, judges, Justices of the Peace, probation/parole officers, police, the John Howard Society, or other service providers.
To access this service, or for more information, please contact:
Counsellor, Addiction Court Support
Mobile Phone: 519-362-3773
You may also download or print our ACS Application. This document is in PDF format. If opening with Adobe Reader DC, use the Fill & Sign tool to complete the form online – then print or save.